Hi

That's not exactly right .. if you install v3 to a different location (tip:
choose Custom install) then you can run either version from the relevant file
location, but not at the same time.
The only problem you will find is compatibility with some extensions when you
run FF3. If you want to go back to FF2 for Firebug support then it will
automatically re-enable it. At least that what it just did for me.
Your profile will be shared between both versions as well.

This is true for Linux versions as well - you can either install both versions
using your distro's package manager or run it from the tarball.

I doubt Mozilla would go down the path of IE - I'd be annoyed if I had
to  'MultipleFF'  as well, or run up a new virtual machine for every
version...

HTH
James