The question wasn't about keeping file extensions in URIs it was about what file extension the file should have, which I am sure you will agree is still required as the server needs to know if it is an html, php, css, js, etc file doesn't it.

But I completely agree, my server can serve a file.php file from www.domain.com/file as long as don't stupidly name the file the same as a directory at the same level.

I may be that _at one time_ the windows server needed a 8.3 filename convention but that went out the door ages ago didn't it?

PS: the subject should really be "htm vs html", no? or am I missing something?
Joe

On Jun 20, 2008, at 08:55, Martin Kliehm wrote:

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Patrick H. Lauke <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

> > > Rubbish. Absolute rubbish. Challenge the support staff to actually point out
> > > where this statement from the W3C is supposed to be...

> I'd have to agree; I'm inclined to believe that ".htm" is a carryover
> from when Microsoft(TM) products (ie DOS) only supported file
> extensions up to 3 characters in length.
>
> If there is a W3C statement, I'd love to see it.

Oh, there is. The W3C advises to avoid file extensions in URLs to keep future compliant. Cool URIs don't change, you know. ;)

http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

Joe Ortenzi
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.typingthevoid.com