http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/scripts.html#edef-SCRIPT

"*Start tag: required, End tag: required*"

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#prohibitions

"C.3. Element Minimization and Empty Element Content

Given an empty instance of an element whose content model is not EMPTY (for
example, an empty title or paragraph) do not use the minimized form (e.g.

or you don't like firefox loves standarts?