On 3 Jul 2008, at 14:55, Mark Stickley wrote:

I wonder what a partially sighted user would thing of these 'improvements'. Would they be glad that now they can see images a little easier and the layout seems to break less or would they be annoyed at the sudden appearance of a horizontal scrollbar?

Yes, a similar criticism has been levelled at Elastic layouts -- that when you enlarge the text the layout grows with it, which may not be what the user wants (when horizontal scrolling ensues). The line which made this clear to me was Georg's:

"wanting or having a need for larger text, doesn't mean one has or
want a larger screen and/or browser-window."

I've recently redesigned my own site in an elastic format, but I'm now wondering maybe that was not the best choice. It's actually only a temporary redesign so I'll have the opportunity to revisit the decision soon.

I wonder to what extent the browser vendors sought feedback re. the pros and cons of zooming, because certainly Georg's comment would seem to apply to zooming as much as it did elastic/em-based layouts.

--
Rick Lecoat
www.sharkattack.co.uk