ok - seo is a bit like voodoo to me

the following sites seem to be contray to  suggestion

http://wordpress.org/ & .com - h1 with text-indent: -1000px
http://www.alistapart.com - h1 with img alt text same on various pages - a
duplicate on all pages (AFAIS)
http://www.zeldman.com - h1 with text-indent: -1000px

Also I see plenty of sites that are marking the logo in a div rather than a
h1 (Shaun Inman & Todd Dominey) ie in accordance with the suggestions with
Henrik's link and Darren's

or am I looking at something the wrong way. Its late, my quick investigation
maybe a little rash (perhaps I am jumping to conclusions) - anyway the more
I see the more verity I find and more confused I get

- S