Thanks Benjamin.

They are using them to facilitate the menu/header/footer ite,s across a
host of applications which sit on a range of differing servers using a rang
of differing technologies. I suggested SSI's but that is not possible due
to server configuration issues. I think I am going to allow iFrames but
with some stipulations.

Mary-Anne

 Mary-Anne Nayler                      Phone: 02 612 46681

 Mgr, Design & Technical team          Mobile: 0402111359

 Web Services Section                  Fax: 02 612 47969

 Online Development Branch             Email:

 Business Futures and eClaiming
mary-anne.nay...@medicareaustralia.gov.au
 Division

             Benjamin
             Hawkes-Lewis
             <bhawkesle...@goo                                          To
             glemail.com>              wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
             li...@webstandard
             sgroup.org                                            Subject
                                       Re: [WSG] Frames/iFrames
                                       [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
             13/01/2009 06:12
             PM

             Please respond to
             w...@webstandardsg
                 roup.org

On 12/1/09 07:12, mary-anne.nay...@medicareaustralia.gov.au wrote:
> I am just wondering what is the general consensus on the use of Frames or
> iFrames these days. WCAG2.0 is not terribly clear on whether we should or
> shouldn't be using them.

WCAG 2.0 tries to express the principles of web accessibility in a
technology independent manner. If you can use frames in consistency with
those principles, that's compatible with conforming to WCAG 2.0.

Note that the Techniques document for WCAG 2.0 does include some HTML
techniques relevant to frames:

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H64.html

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H70.html

> I understand there are usability issues as well as
> problems with Search Engines.

The usability minefield with frames described at -

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9612.html

- hasn't disappeared.

The interoperability problem hasn't disappeared either. There are still
browsers in use - some mobile browsers, Lynx - that can't handle frames.

More recently, security-conscious users are being advised to disable
"iframe" support as one measure against clickjacking:

http://hackademix.net/2008/09/27/clickjacking-and-noscript

http://hackademix.net/2008/09/29/clickjacking-and-other-browsers-ie-safari-chrome-opera/

http://hackademix.net/2008/10/08/hello-clearclick-goodbye-clickjacking/

Likewise the problems with frames for search engines described at the
article Nielsen cites:

http://www.ehsco.com/opinion/19980209.html

appear to still exist today:

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35769

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=34445

http://searchenginewatch.com/2167901

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/search/webcrawler/slurp-08.html?terms=frames

(although contrast
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/search/webcrawler/slurp-09.html?terms=frames

)

> I have a client that seems determined to use them despite my best advice.

Use them how for what?

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis

Help us support the  Starlight Children's Foundation  to grant wishes to
seriously ill children this Christmas—make a donation at any Medicare office
during December.

NOTICE - This message is intended only for the use of the addressee named above
and may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that you must not
disseminate, copy or take any action based upon it. If you received this
message in error please notify Medicare Australia immediately. Any views
expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
sender specifically states them to be the views of Medicare Australia.