2009/2/23 Frank Palinkas <fmpalin...@gmail.com>:
> IMHO, not very semantic in nature. We need the button element to be able to
> carry a valid link-type attribute. Enclosing it in a form just don't cut it.

We are talking HTML 4 here, so to have a link you have to use an
anchor tag, a form or javascript.

Frank is correct, a link is semantically correct way to go and to get
the behaviour John wants, he is better off using javascript than a
button. Though I don't know of a way of disabling a link with
javascript

The form option, gives more control, but is less semantically correct
than a plain link and will work with javascript disabled.

You can use a button outside of a form  and attached javascript to it.
This might not be semantically correct, does everything John wants.
Only problem does not work with javascript disabled.

--
Nick Cowie
http://nickcowie.com