Dude, that's a little unrealistic and a tad bitter:

  "Its been possible to do ARIA style accessibility since about 1995 -
its just now that people are starting to care."

Personally I've been waiting for ARIA to come of age now both assistive
technologies and browsers offer support.
With the imminent release of IEv8 (with ARIA support) it's time to
re-examine state of play.
I'm interested in how's of implementation, and what's happening with W3C
validation?

Can it be used with XHTML v1.0 yet?
Will it ever be?
Does serving the page as text/html still have issues?
Is there a fully usable Doctype yet?
Is there a simple method to implement liveregion areas?

Any news or thoughts greatly appreciated.

Mike Foskett
http://websemantics.co.uk/