Hello Miranda,
Having worked on several Sharepoint 2007 based internet facing websites
myself, the one thing I've learned is that the biggest challenge is to get
Sharepoint to output valid non–table–based HTML. All the rest should be
quite easily solved with CSS. It really depends on how comfortable your
developers are with working with Sharepoint. In my experience there are a
lot of back-end developers doing front-end work that they're not qualified
to do which makes them resort to table based layouts &c.

Good luck!

Matijs