Out of curiosity, what sort of feature are you talking about that
can't be done server side (ie, *without* AJAX)?

I'll confess to relying heavily on server side JS on some projects,
but I did so because I knew those apps would be used exclusively on an
intranet where the SOE was known to support JS. The user experience is
definitely enhanced from the use of client side JS (it was a kind of
online spread sheet used by the finance dept), but it's nothing I
couldn't have done, with a little work, on the server side (and *lots*
of page submissions).