Apparently he is talking about overflow:hidden as a clearing floats fix.  (
http://www.quirksmode.org/css/clearing.html)
Let me reformulate the question: why the property that serves for hiding
smth just make the wrapper stretch to accomodate containing floats.
As for me - i still consider this magic. May be W3C got smth on this topic.

Yuriy "akella" Artyukh,
http://cssing.org.ua