Can't see it in IE7 XP and IE8 using compatible mode from IE9 in Windows 7.

Everything appears correct. My guess is, your screen is shorter in height, and
IE (or just IE8? You didn't mention IE7 and IE9) doesn't count the height from
a hover thus no horizontal scrollbar.

If the layout doesn't use frame this shouldn't be a problem as the left column
has enough room in  height to accommodate the content area's height. The easier
way may be adding some 200 or 300 padding bottom for the content's div using
conditional comment - but I don't see there is a div wrapper for content area.
Maybe you can add margin-bottom for table, or add a div as a wrapper of table,
and add padding-bottom for it.

tee