I usually go with business activity - business function with my modal
forms (SharePoint)
e.g. Records - Declare a new record

-----Original Message-----
From: li...@webstandardsgroup.org [mailto:li...@webstandardsgroup.org]
On Behalf Of Stevio
Sent: 20 July 2011 16:46
To: Web Standards Group
Subject: [WSG] Modal forms - what to call them?

I am working on a CMS and within it, when a user wishes to add a record,
I give them two options:
1) Add record - this goes to a new web page with a form.
2) Add record modally - this brings up a modal dialog box containing the
form which allows them to add the record without leaving the page they
were on (this page lists the current records). This uses jQuery. Once
they add the record, the list of records is updated using AJAX.

However, what user-friendly descriptive name should I use for the modal
forms? I doubt many people know the word modal. Any suggestions?

It would be laid out as follows:
Add record (pop-up dialog box)?

Clicking on 'Add record' takes the user to a new page, while clicking on
'pop-up dialog box' opens the modal form.

However, I would like something shorter and simpler than 'pop-up dialog
box'. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Stephen