I would love to hear what other think about the approach for device-width vs
max/min width.

For myself, I have done a couple sites targeting device-width and really think
this is better approach. The hype about responsive design got me to try out the
max/min width approach, I find that I need to tackle more the the window
resizes (and this means writing more CSS rules means penalizing touchscreen
device user), and the experience can be quite awful seeing it from desktop
browser.

I'm sort of in a defeated mood right now, really feel that except the ego to
show off, I'm unable to find a convincing reason that desktop user needs to be
given a "responsive website" anything smaller than 800px.

tee