Hey Stevio,

There could be a range of reasons for the select element issue, so the only
answer would be "it depends".

In your case, the issue MAY be related to font-size. Browsers may render the
font-size of the <select> element slightly differently. This could mean that
the em unit applied to the <select> element may be smaller in some browsers,
and therefore the <select> element will not "poke out the side" of the form.

Here is a quick online example:
http://maxdesign.com.au/jobs/example-stevio/

There are three <form> examples on the page. All three of these <forms> have
been set to 30em wide.

The first <form> example has a <select> element with no width applied.

The second <form> example has a <select> element set to 32em. Depending on the
font-size of the <select> element, this may mean it pokes out the side of the
<form> element.

The third <form> example has a <select> element set to 32em AND set to 100%
font-size. So, in all browsers EXCEPT IE6, the <select> element SHOULD stick
out the side of the <form> in all cases. In other words, this is a consistent
and correct behaviour. (Child elements that are wider than the parent element
should stick outside the parent and be fully visible, unless some form of
overflow has been applied).

The only exception is IE6, which will operate differently. IE6 will force the
parent to wrap around the child element. In this case, the <form> element will
them become 32em wide in order to accommodate the <select> element. This is not
the correct behaviour, but it is a well known IE6 behaviour  :)

HTH
Russ