> Think of how two columns work in a table, when they have no specified width.
> They adjust to the size of the content and the available width, and wrap
> their content if the available width is reduced.
>
> This should be easy in CSS, no?

The simple answer is that floats are not ideal in this situation.

There are three ways you
could solve this problem - but as Hassan mentions, they are best done without
using "float". All three solutions may present issues in older versions of IE.
Without knowing exactly what you are trying to achieve, it is hard to recommend
one of these solutions.

---------------------
Option 1 - display: table, display: table-row, display: table-cell
---------------------
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#display-prop>

For example, you could make the two containers operate like table cells. I am
not really a fan of this approach, but it would give you the behaviour you are
looking for.

<http://maxdesign.com.au/jobs/example-stevio/table.htm>

---------------------
Option 2 - columns
<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-multicol/>

Option 3 - Flexible Box
As Hassan mentioned, you could use the flexible box module as a solution
<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-flexbox/>

Not sure if any of these help...
Russ