OK, so I'm working on a project in which the developers are laying out tabular
data using divs.
The site is using the 960 CSS grid system so making the 'tables' work just
means applying the appropriate class to align each div/table cell to the grid.
They say this is good because:
It's fast
They can manipulate the resulting DOM much more easily than they could with a
table
Developers find it easier to, say, add or remove columns from the tables,
without having to edit the code all the way down the table (no wysiwyg editors
here!)
To me this doesn't seem very good because:
It's not very semantic (although they've used micro data in the class names for
some divs)
It doesn't seem very accessible -- I might be wrong about this, but to me good
semantics is foundational to accessibility
There's a lot of markup -- I know tables aren't exactly light on code, but they
seem quite light and efficient in comparison
It doesn't seem to me like the code will be very easy to maintain for anyone
but the developers.

The lead developers assure me that this is good practice for speed and
efficiency, but I'm not convinced.
Nevertheless, I don't want to be advocating tables as best practice if they
aren't.

What do you think? Are tables too hard for the real world in large sites or web
apps where large amounts of DOM manipulation is required? Or have these guys
taken the 'Tables are bad' thing a bit too far?

Kind regards,
David