Hi Tom,

(Different forum, still me ;-) )

My understanding is that yes you can (put anything you like in the text). It's the @datetime data that is restricted to a machine-readable format. If, however, you don't give the @datetime value then the content of the element itself must be a valid date. So this is OK:

<time datetime="2012-05-22T20:20Z">now</time>

and this is OK

<time>2012-05-22</time>

HTH

Phil.