Sort of.

But I looked up from HTML5 tag, cite doesn't' seem to be the correct ones to
use.

Example of my text when we do it in a Word document.

One model to explain political power, .......is referred to as the "monolithic"
theory . 3

Where 3 is superscribed, and at the footnote of the given page where the quoted
texts located, or references (such as a book title, page # etc)

In a case like this, wrapping 3 in <cite> doesn't seem correct to me.

I thought maybe I can use hyperlink for "monolithic" instead of adding 3 (which
will be directed to Appendix), but this often is not desirable because in other
sections of paragraphs where citations are used, there aren't alway clear
sentences to hyperlink.

This is for an ebook project, it's different from the webpage, and the readers
are more accustom to the footnotes, but footnote doesn't work for ebook format,
because devices' sizes vary, and portrait vs landscape view affects text flow
too so strictly speaking there isn't pagination.

Tee