Hi all,
On a current project we are debating the best way to construct our main
navigation in an accessible & keyboard friendly format.
The navigation consists of three levels - primary, secondary, tertiary.

Navigation will be arranged in a horizontal tabbed format where only the first
level will be visible on the home page.
Upon visiting a primary content page, the secondary navigation will be visible
below the primary nav, with the tertiary navigation available via dropdowns.

Our initial thought was to use a structure that works semantically, by nesting
all three levels in the same menu. (eg. http://www.stgeorge.com.au/ )
Pro: Semantic markup, all levels have relationship.
Con: User must tab through all secondary/tertiary links (we have many!) before
navigating to the remaining primary links:

<ul>
    <ul>
        <ul>
        </ul>
      </li>
    </ul>
  </li>
</ul>

Looking at a couple of other sites (http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/  &
http://www.westpac.com.au/personal-banking/ - the banking model is a good
comparison for us)
it is clear that there are advantages to separating the levels of navigation,
in our case the markup is much more manageable from a css point of view.
Pro: tab order allows users to quickly access all primary links.
Con: loss of semantic relationship between primary & secondary links:

<ul>
</ul>

<ul>
    <ul>
    </ul>
  </li>
</ul>

Would love to hear peoples opinions as to whether either method is preferable
from a usability perspective, or poses any accessibility/wcag issues.

Thanks
- Ben