A few comments regarding this topic from the perspective of someone who
does most of their WSJT-X operating from portable locations.

It is nice to be able to operate without needing an automated means of
keeping the computer clock synced to an external source.   Most of the time
an initial manual sync of the computer clock while listening to WWV or WWVH
works okay for me for a number of hours.   (My main interest is operating
50 Mhz and typically during the day time my 50 Mhz antenna can receive a
usable signal from WWV or WWVH.)  When running FT8 I can usually get a
sense as to how accurate my computer clock is by looking at the DT values
for received and decoded signals and on occasion I have had to manually re
sync the PC clock.

I have recently started to use WiFi to tether my PC to my iPhone when I
have cellular coverage (mostly to enable access to chat boards.)
Evaluating how well my PC and its software can use that connectivity to
sync its clock is on my to do list.

I personally don't see a need for any WSJT-X program changes to
accommodate the way I choose to operate, but I can see why some people
might want to see more WSJT-X features to facilitate this style of
operation.   I am more than happy to let the development team decide what
if anything they want to do regarding this.

The experiences and views of others may differ from mine.

73
Mark S
VE7AFZ