On 5/1/2023 10:13 PM, Reino Talarmo via wsjt-devel wrote:
2# Limiting the usage of the split word to that most probably was a logical
decision to prevent mixing it to the 'split working', hi! Well, in reality
WSJT was designed for various weak signal modes especially EME and there is
(was) no need for any split working as known in HF pileups!

Yes, WSJT modes started out life on VHF/UHF, where the small signal operators were far more sophisticated technically. The need for TX shift to minimize audio arose when FT8, and later FT4, made WSJT-X "mass market" software, used by many hams who knew just enough about radio to pass a multiple-guess exam that they could memorize. And, it's my memory, that it was in that time frame (coincident with the introduction of FT8) that TX shift was developed and implemented. So from where I sit, an active user of WSJT modes back in the days of using W6CQZ's JT65 multi-decoder about 2010, "we're just a bunch of VHF/UHF guys" is no excuse.

All of that is history -- we are where we are, the horse has been out of the barn long enough to have sired descendants. :) But at least a paragraph or two ought to be added to WSJT-X documentation to clarify this stuff. Anyone who has actively chased DX on HF would be seriously scratching their heads looking at the menu choice in the setup screen for "split method." It sure hit me that way the first time I looked at it years ago!

73, Jim K9YC