Dear all,
I know that in the past I have been writing daily newsletters about EYUC. Sorry
I have not been doing it for this event yet. Here goes:

EYUC (European Youth Ultimate Championships) 2019 is amazing. Beyond belief.
1200 players in 5 divisions, plus 250 team staff and many spectators, mainly
parents from all over Europe. So a total of about 1600 people; MUCH bigger than
any other ultimate event this year.We play on the well known fields in Wroclaw
(pronounciation for english speakers: 'Vrots-Love), that had EUCF, World games
and several more events.

We have 5 division: U17 women (9 teams) and open (aka men; 16 teams), U20 women
(12 teams) and open (16 teams), and for the 1st time ever U20 mixed, including
U17 players (7 teams).
The level of play is EXTREMELY high. Most U20 open teams would beat my club
team easily. So would several U17 teams. The same is true on the women side.
The tournament is now currently from pools and power pools to play offf stages;
only U17 women are in pool stage as 9 teams play a full round robin.

The main news is that we see not only see the classic nations play super high
level, like GBR, ITA, FRA, AUT and GER. But also new nations on the rise, like
CZE (who are the only ones fielding all 5 divisions), Slovenia, Slovakia,
Latvia. Hungary is here for the first time with two teams, performing extremely
well.
U17 women

In the 9 teams round robin all teams played 6 out of 8 matches so far. The top
2 will go straight to finals, 3 and 4 to bronze match. No team is unbeaten at
this point. Newcomer HUN is fighting hard with two established nations, CZE and
FRA, to get into the final. ITA and GER are the runners up.
U17 open
Going into the brackets, champion FRA looks unstoppable, never giving more than
8 points to any opponent. BEL came the closest, so also a super team. ITA, AUT
and GER close behind. ISR is also a hot contender.
U20 women
CZE and FRA are cruising, both are unbeaten.The team to watch for enternainment
is definitely SLO; 4 of their matches went into universe, of which they lost 3.
However, they made the quarters and get a rematch vs CZE. SWE also is back on
top, in the quarters vs GER, whereas ITA did not make the top 8. RUS against
AUT is another exciting quarter.
U20 open

Champion ITA and FRA are unbeaten. Host nation POL made the top 8. The hottest
quarter may possibly be BEL vs GER, which will be live streamed at 11:10am
today.
U20 mixed
EUF only decided this division to take place in late 2018, when many
established nations had already held tryouts, but still it has a turnout of 7
teams, not bad for a pilot event. Here, all teams are newcomers. ESP had mixed
rosters in the open division already in the past, and plays interesting junk
defense. The dominant team is LAT; not a huge surprise, for anyone who follows
junior ultimate or saw LAT at U24 worlds. They will play NED in the semi today.
The other semi is ESP vs HUN. This will be exciting; in the pool game, HUN
killed ESP, but in other games ESP looked much more solid. The division also
features TUR and a European all star mixed team under the name of EUtopia, not
allowed to earn a medal but adding to competition level.

We are here with 7 EUF officials, working till late hours to ensure all goes
well. Which it does. Minor hickups on day one (mainly breakfast ques and food
options/quantities) were cleaned up quickly.There is a nice players village
with merchandizing from Lucky Grass and Tokai and many activities. This
morning, kids could watch a replay of the Eurostars match from last night.
I know that it is not easy to magine this event when you have never been to an
EYUC. The cultural interaction is interesting, all the games are exciting. This
is definitely true in all 5 divisions; after he first 3 days, the hottest match
on the live stream was a U17 girls match; CZE vs FRA, the rematch of the last
bronze medal match.
258 hot matches, 35 on the live stream. We had 4.5 great days so far, but 2.5
are still to come. Make sure to catch the action! Fanseat is streaming live,
the subscription is only €9.99 per month (or 5.99 per match). The media crew is
doing a great job with pictures, live stream and facebook. There is cool social
events, trading night toady, party thursday.
Some links:
web site with schedules and results:
http://eyuc2019.ultimatecentral.com"insider"; facebook site:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/eyuc2019/live stream schedule:
http://eyuc2019.ultimatecentral.com/live-stream-scheduleshorter daily highlight
videos on the EUF youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0w5gEfHuku0vmNAvpIrUvA
excellent write ups and pictures: http://ultizone.pl

3:22am. Seems like I should go to bed at some point. But I am just too excited.

ChrisEUF

Christoph Dehnhardt chdehnha...@yahoo.de +49 - 163 - 7596 - 764