-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the Feb. 21, 2002
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

BLACK HISTORY MONTH:
AFRICAN AMERICAN COURAGE IN THE SPANISH CIVIL WAR

By Michael Kramer

[I would like to make a film on the life of a Black commander
of the Lincoln Battalion in the International Brigades who
dies there; but this would be refused by the big Yankee
movie companies.

--Paul Robeson, 1938]

On July 18, 1936, a fascist-led counter-revolutionary army
revolt began against the five-year-old Spanish Republic and
the coalition of various centrist and progressive parties
that had been popularly elected five months before. The
coalition was called the Popular Front and included the
Communist Party of Spain.

The revolt received crucial logistical and material support
from fascist regimes in Germany, Italy and Portugal. The
German and Italian air forces deployed over Spain and terror-
bombed densely populated, working-class neighborhoods in
Madrid and Barcelona while submarines blockaded Republican
seaports.

By November 1936 the situation was desperate. The Spanish
Republic pleaded for help against the fascist onslaught.
Communists, trade unionists and progressives all over the
world took up the cause of the Spanish Republic. Thousands
volunteered to fight and the International Brigades were
formed.

Around 3,000 volunteers went to Spain from the U.S. to take
part in the armed struggle against fascism and most fought
in the Abraham Lincoln Brigade. The U.S. Communist Party
played a leading role in organizing the Brigade and
maintaining its support network. More than half the
volunteers were killed or seriously wounded. Over 80 of the
volunteers were African-American.

BLACK SOLIDARITY

In an article on the Web site www.africana.com, Prof. Robin
Kelley relates how Black newspapers like the Pittsburgh
Courier, the Baltimore Afro-American, the Atlanta Daily
World and the Chicago Defender "unequivocally sided with the
Spanish Republic and occasionally carried feature articles
about black participants in the Lincoln Brigade. ... Several
black medical personnel from the United Aid for Ethiopia
offered medical supplies and raised money in the community;
Harlem churches and professional organizations sponsored
rallies in behalf of the Spanish Republic; black relief
workers and doctors raised enough money to purchase a fully
equipped ambulance for use in Spain; and some of Harlem's
greatest musicians, including Cab Calloway, Fats Waller,
Count Basie, W.C. Handy, Jimmy Lunceford, Noble Sissle and
Eubie Blake gave benefit concerts sponsored by the Harlem
Musicians' Committee for Spanish Democracy. ..."

Black volunteers found it especially difficult to travel to
Spain. In the out-of-print pamphlet "Black Americans in the
Spanish People's War Against Fascism," volunteer James Yates
related: "I'll never forget Dec. 26, 1936. Ninety-six
Americans sailed from the port of New York. Among those were
a number of Blacks. I would have been among the first group
had I not been born in the racist state of Mississippi; they
didn't give birth certificates to Black people in those days
so I was delayed."

On Feb. 27, 1937, in a battle on the Jarama River, the first
Black volunteer was killed in combat. His name was Alonzo
Watson. "Alonzo, slight and quiet in his mannerisms, was a
son of struggle. He saw fascism as the personification of
racism. He had volunteered to fight in Ethiopia but the war
ended. When the call came for volunteers for Spain, where
Italian troops had been sent, Alonzo answered the call." A
memorial meeting was held in Harlem for the community to
remember Watson.

Three Black volunteers received battlefield promotions for
bravery in that battle: Oliver Law, Walter Garland and
Douglas Roach.

GETS PROMOTION DENIED HIM IN U.S. ARMY

Oliver Law had been born on a ranch in Texas. He served six
years in the segregated U.S. Army and, despite his talent,
rose no higher in rank than private.

He lived on the South Side of Chicago, worked in
construction and became a political activist. During the
capitalist crisis of the 1930s known as the Great
Depression, the police constantly targeted Law as he
organized the unemployed and fought against racism. He
helped organize the historic 10,000-strong Aug. 31, 1935,
rally for Ethiopia, where he was arrested by the Chicago
police while trying to speak to the crowd.

Law joined the Abraham Lincoln Brigade as a private. In only
six months he was promoted to brigade commander. Oliver Law
was the first African-American to command U.S. citizens in
an integrated military unit.

Law was described by Steve Nelson, his comrade, as "six foot
two and powerfully built ... more serious than jovial, but
never harsh; he was well liked by his men. ...When soldiers
were asked who might become an officer--ours was a very
democratic army--his name always came up. It was spoken of
him that he was calm under fire, dignified, respectful of
his men, and always given to thoughtful consideration of
initiatives and military missions."

Brigade Commander Oliver Law was killed on July 9, 1937,
while leading an attack on Mosquito Ridge during the Battle
of Brunete.

Douglas "Doug" Roach grew up on Cape Cod in Massachusetts
and was a communist. He played football at Provincetown High
School and graduated from Massachusetts Agricultural
College, where he was a star wrestler. Roach was wounded at
Brunete by shrapnel and received a citation.

A daily bulletin written by his comrades in the trenches
observed, "It was not merely his physical strength--he could
carry a heavy machine gun over the hills of Brunete when
others were too exhausted to walk--it was his moral fiber,
his courage which earned him a citation for bravery." Roach
was repatriated to the U.S. Weakened by his wounds, he
contracted pneumonia and died the following year at the age
of 29.

WOMEN VOLUNTEERS

In 1934 Salaria Kee graduated from Harlem Hospital Training
School as a nurse and was assigned to the obstetrical
division. She was the only nurse assigned to a 50-baby
maternity-nursery ward. Racist conditions like this
politicized her and she joined a group of progressive
nurses.

When Italy invaded Ethiopia in 1935, the group gathered and
sent tons of medical supplies as well as a 75-bed field
hospital to the Ethiopian troops resisting the fascist
invasion. On March 27, 1936, Key left New York for Spain
with a medical group of 12 nurses and physicians. Inspired
by the resistance to fascism in Africa and Europe, she
reacted, "I'm not going to sit down and let this happen. I'm
going to go out even if it means my life. This is my world.
I'm a nurse."

She was the only African-American woman to serve in the
Abraham Lincoln Brigade. Other women served in the Brigade
medical units and as truck and ambulance drivers.

There are so many other stories to tell about the heroic
African-American internationalists who left the U.S. to give
the strongest solidarity possible to their Spanish sisters,
brothers and comrades. Volunteers like Jim Peck and Paul
Williams who flew fighter planes for the Spanish Republic
and Milton Herndon who was killed at Fuentes de Ebro on Oct.
13, 1937, while fighting with the mostly Canadian Mackenzie-
Papineau Battalion of the International Brigades.

There was Dr. Arnold Donowa, an oral surgeon from Harvard
University, and Thaddeus Battle, a student from Howard
University. Their stories are an inspiration for activists
today and for those who are thinking about getting involved
in today's struggles. Their stories should be taught in the
schools as part of Black History Month celebrations.

Volunteer Thomas Page was wounded badly in August 1938
during the River Ebro offensive. Years later, talking to
other volunteers, he remembered, "Spain was the first place
I felt like a free man. Leaving Spain was one of the saddest
days of my life. Just the thought of going back to Jim Crow
America made me sick! Like me you realized that after Spain
our struggle was at home, just as it was before we sailed
for Europe."

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] For subscription info send message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.workers.org)