-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the Oct. 3, 2002
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

CRISIS IN BUFFALO, N.Y., CALLS FOR WORKER UNITY

By Bev Hiestand

Conditions of life are very difficult for workers and
oppressed communities in Western New York. Like other former
centers of industry and transportation, we have been very
affected by the dismantling of heavy industry, downsizing
and layoffs.

What solution does the capitalist class offer? High tech!
Reindustrialization was supposed to create an economic
turnaround in this increasingly impoverished region.

But the greatly hailed scientific high-tech revolution of
the 1970s and 1980s has been so different than the
scientific-technological revolution of a century or more
ago. Those big leaps in the means of production led to the
expansion of capitalism, but with it came an overall
improvement in the living standard of the working class.
Today reindustrialization has brought more layoffs and been
an excuse for a greater offensive against the working class.

And while the imperialist war drive will bring death and
destruction, poverty and misery to the people of Iraq, it
will also deepen economic and social suffering here. The
capitalist state, instead of providing resources on an
emergency basis, is in deficit because of the economic
crisis and because the social surplus created by our
collective labor is being funneled to Wall Street and the
Pentagon while the infrastructure is left to rot.

War will not bring about jobs and prosperity. The Gulf War
in 1991 ended in an economic downturn severe enough that
Bush Senior didn't get re-elected.

When people are losing their jobs, the budget deficit is
expanding and benefits are being cut while corporations are
raking in billions, it's natural to awaken to the need to
fight back.

Now that impulse is being drowned in a frenzy of hoopla
about "terrorist cells" in Buffalo. The highly publicized
arrests of six Yemeni American young men has taken place at
the very moment that the Pentagon has quietly deployed
hundreds of Special Operations troops to a military base in
East Africa and has positioned an assault ship facing Yemen.

It's part of the campaign to push this country in a
direction of war. It's orchestrated to create the impression
among the population that they are at war with the Arab
world. It prepares the population to get ready for war
abroad, not war at home.

In recent months we've seen tens of thousands demonstrate to
stop budget cuts from gutting Buffalo public school
education. In March, more than 20,000 protested the plan of
the Kaleida health conglomerate to shut down Children's
Hospital of Buffalo. And a protest quickly drew together in
May when Kaleida tried to shut down a health clinic in a
poor community.

The working class is made up of workers from so many
countries and nationalities, so many women, so many lesbian
and gay, bi and trans people and disabled workers that the
potential is there for a more left-wing leadership among the
laboring class.

The anti-war forces in Buffalo have an important role to
play in helping workers get past this difficult period by
demanding no U.S. war and stop the round-ups of Arab, South
Asian and Muslim people. It's up to the radicals to give
encouragement to beat back this racist assault. Through our
coalition work we have helped keep the anti-war movement
from being derailed, and keep the anti-imperialist focus.
And we are already ordering a second bus for the Oct. 26
demonstration in Washington.

The struggle ahead is not going to be easy. That's why they
call it the struggle! But we are ready, willing and able as
a party to take on the challenges we're up against.

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] Support the voice of
resistance http://www.workers.org/orders/donate.php)