Reprinted from the Oct. 10, 2002
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

U.S. TOPS WORLD IN PRISONERS:
WHY MUMIA SYMBOLIZES STRUGGLE VS. JAILS

By Gloria Verdieu

[From a talk at the Sept. 21-22
Workers World Party conference.]

Workers World Party and others have made Mumia Abu-Jamal's
case a top priority for many years. The international
movements to Free Mumia have been working hard to make his
name a household word.

Why is Mumia's case so important to us? Because of who he
is. Mumia is a true revolutionary who since joining the
Black Panthers at age 15 has continued to speak out against
war, racism and imperialism.

His case has become synonymous with the struggle against
police brutality, racist terror and state oppression--all of
which have become more profound in our communities. People
of color, and poor and working class people generally, are
getting a deeper understanding of the reality that Mumia
could be any one of us.

We believe that if the power of the people is victorious in
freeing Mumia, this will open many doors to freeing all of
our political prisoners, including Leonard Peltier, Sundiata
Acoli, Dr. Mutulu Shakur, Sekou Cinque, Jamil Al-Amin,
Herman Wallace, Albert Woodfox, Sara Olson, the MOVE 9 and
hundreds more. We haven't forgotten the five Cuban prisoners
and all the thousands who are being illegally detained
because of this so-called war on terrorism.

Mumia has been on death row for over 20 years. He is
certainly not alone. The total number of death row inmates
in the U.S. is 3,718, the overwhelming majority poor and
people and color. California is the leader with over 600,
followed by Texas with 457, Florida with 388, and
Pennsylvania, where Mumia is being held, has 247. Since the
U.S. Supreme Court reinstated executions in 1976, Texas has
executed 281, Virginia 86 and California 10.

In a report by Victor L. Streib, professor of law at Ohio
Northern University, there are hundreds of juveniles on U.S.
death row--that is, youths who were arrested when under the
age of 18 and sentenced to death.

Over 200 youths have been sentenced to death since 1973 with
Texas, Florida, and Alabama accounting for half of them. Of
the 219 death sentences, 81 remain in litigation. One
hundred eighteen have been reversed or commuted.

Gary Graham, also known as Shaka Sankofa, was one of 21
people executed who were convicted as juveniles. The others
included 11 Black males and one Latino male.

The majority of countries have signed international
agreements prohibiting the execution of juvenile offenders.
The U.S. is the only industrialized country that has refused
to adhere to these agreements.

The U.S. has five percent of the world's population and 25
percent of the world's prison population. Some 80 percent of
the inmates are people of color.

As of 2002, the U.S. has a prison population rate of 690 per
100,000 people. China's rate is less than one-sixth that of
the U.S.

In the U.S., there are over 6.6 million adults on probation,
in jail or prison, and on parole within the criminal justice
system. One in eight black males between the ages of 21 and
34 are in prison in the U.S. on any given day.

We will become even more aggressive in our efforts to
dismantle the prison-industrial complex. We will fight
police brutality along with illuminating why the police
exist in a society divided by class. We will abolish the
racist, unjust, brutal death penalty.

We will work towards these immediate actions, but most
importantly, we can link the worldwide struggles together
and begin the business of breaking down and tearing apart
this whole capitalist system of injustice that is destroying
our world.

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] Support the voice of
resistance http://www.workers.org/orders/donate.php)