-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the Oct. 31, 2002
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

LOS ANGELES: INDIGNANT IMMIGRANTS MARCH FOR RIGHTS

By Adrian Garcia
Los Angeles

Two thousand people, mostly Latino/as, descended on the
streets of downtown Los Angeles Oct. 19 to demand an
immediate end to attacks against undocumented workers in
California and elsewhere in the United States.

The crowd marched on Broadway, one of the busiest commercial
streets in downtown Los Angeles. Thousands of onlookers
witnessed the march. Many joined the protest as it passed en
route to City Hall.

"This is the first protest I have ever been to," said Gabino
Alvarez, who lives in a predominately immigrant area of Los
Angeles. "It is very exciting to see all these people rally
around this very important cause."

Other marchers expressed concerns about the police presence.
"I feel scared, but I believe it is important to stand up
for my rights. I am also doing this for my children," said
one undocumented worker, a mother of three.

Latino Movement USA and Hermandad Mexicana Nacional
organized the protest in response to the Bush
administration's reactionary anti-immigrant policies.

Los Angeles International Airport is one target of the
government's attack on immigrants' rights. The Immigration
and Naturalization Service carries out almost daily raids
against undocumented workers there under the veneer of
"national security."

In October California Gov. Gray Davis vetoed a bill that
would have granted drivers' licenses to undocumented
workers. Earlier Davis had promised to sign the bill.

Davis claimed that issuing licenses or identification cards
is a matter of national security. This has become the mantra
for the attacks against working people through out the
United States, from undocumented workers to Arab Americans
to the West Coast dock workers of the International
Longshore and Warehouse Union.

The march was followed by a rally on the steps of City Hall.
Speakers commented on the enthusiastic response of onlookers
and the need for more people to become involved in the
struggle for immigrants' rights.

Dolores Huerta, co-founder of the United Farm Workers union,
got applause when she equated the struggle for immigrants'
rights to the hardships that farm workers endured during
their attempts to unionize in the 1960s. However, her
declaration of continued support for Gov. Davis was not well
received by the crowd.

Juan Jose Gutierrez, founder of Latino Movement USA,
expressed his enthusiasm about the day's turnout and
informed the people that the struggle will not end until
respect, dignity and equal rights are granted to the hard-
working people who are undocumented.

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] Support the voice of
resistance http://www.workers.org/orders/donate.php)