-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the Nov. 7, 2002
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

WW INTERVIEW WITH PHILIPPINE COMMUNIST LEADER:
"WE WON'T CAPITUALTE TO U.S. PRESSURE"

[Workers World reporter Lydia Bayoneta recently conducted an
interview with Prof. Jose Maria Sison, the founding
chairperson of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP),
chief political consultant of the National Democratic Front
of the Philippines (NDFP) and general consultant of the
International League of People's Struggle (ILPS).]

BAYONETA: WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT STATUS WITH REGARD TO THE
GOVERNMENT OF THE NETHERLANDS?

SISON: I am a political refugee recognized by the Office of
the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, the Dutch Council of
State and the Dutch government. However, due to long-running
U.S. pressure, I have not been admitted as a political
refugee to the Netherlands. Neither have I been granted a
permit to reside. Sometimes, I am called a "tolerated
alien."

As a recognized political refugee, I am protected by the
Refugee Convention and by the European Convention for the
Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms. Don't
be confused by the Dutch hairsplitting between the terms
"recognized" and "admitted" political refugee. It is the
confusion of the Dutch authorities as a result of the
unlawful U.S. meddling in my asylum case in violation of the
Refugee Convention. Lately, since Aug. 13, the Dutch
government has issued the so-called sanction regulation
against terrorism in order to subject me to persecution and
repressive measures.

The said sanction regulation parrots the Aug. 9 decision of
the U.S. State Department designating the Communist Party of
the Philippines/New Peoples Army as a "foreign terrorist
organization" and the Aug. 12 decision of the U.S. Treasury
Department listing the CPP, NPA and myself as targets for
the freeze of assets.

WHAT HAVE BEEN SOME OF THE IMMEDIATE EFFECTS OF THIS CHANGE
IN YOUR STATUS ON YOU AND THE FILIPINO MOVEMENT?

SISON: I have been criminalized as a "terrorist" without due
process. I have been defamed, demonized and subjected to the
incitement of public hatred by official propaganda mills. I
have thereby suffered material and moral damages and grave
threats to my life.

My joint bank account with my wife has been frozen, despite
the fact that the money that goes in and out of there comes
from the social welfare agency. The measly social benefits,
which I receive in exchange for being banned from work as a
"tolerated alien," have been terminated. The Dutch
authorities offer the restoration of said benefits, but only
on condition that these are on "humanitarian grounds" within
the framework of the sanction regulation against terrorism.

The U.S.-Dutch imperialist collaboration against me is
extremely cruel. I am deprived of the basic necessities of
life and my basic human right to life is thus violated. My
family manages to survive because we borrow money from
friends. By the way, the sanction regulation also threatens
to punish any entity for providing me any kind of goods and
services, even if for mere subsistence.

The attack on me is meant by the governments in Washington,
The Hague and Manila to terrorize the members, consultants,
staffers and supporters of the NDFP negotiating panel based
in Europe and to push them towards capitulation in the peace
negotiations with the Manila government. But the
imperialists, together with their puppets, are merely
daydreaming by imagining that they can shake down the NDFP
towards capitulation. They are in fact goading the
revolutionary forces and people in the Philippines to
struggle more resolutely and more militantly than ever
before for national liberation and democracy.

The U.S. has its own unilateral strategic objective. If the
shakedown on the NDFP does not result in capitulation of the
revolutionary forces but the collapse of the peace
negotiations, the U.S. is ready to escalate its military
intervention in the Philippines and launch a war of
aggression for the purpose of tightening U.S. control over
the Philippines and all Southeast Asia.

But this early the revolutionary forces and people in the
Philippines, including overseas Filipinos, know what the
U.S. is up to. And they are more determined than ever before
to fight for their national and democratic rights against
U.S. imperialism and its puppets in
the Philippines.

AFTER SO MANY YEARS AS A RECOGNIZED POLITICAL REFUGEE, WHY
DO YOU THINK THE NETHERLANDS HAS SO ABRUPTLY CHANGED ITS
ATTITUDE TOWARDS YOU IN PARTICULAR? DO YOU EXPECT YOUR
PERSONAL SITUATION TO BECOME WORSE?

SISON: The Dutch government is consistently against my
residence in the Netherlands. I have managed to stay long in
the Netherlands by standing up for my rights against the
powerful attempts of the Dutch government to violate the
Refugee Convention and European Convention. The abrupt
change is not in the attitude of the Dutch government but in
the intensity of its intolerance and arbitrariness towards
me. The Dutch government follows the baton of the U.S.
government in this regard.

It is not at all surprising that the Dutch government does
the bidding of the U.S. in using the pretext of anti-
terrorism against me and in applying the most unjust and
most cruel repressive measures against me. The U.S. and
Dutch governments and multinational firms are long-time
partners in the exploitation of the peoples of Southeast
Asia and other parts of the world.

I am now taking legal actions to have my name removed from
the list of "terrorists" and free myself from the adverse
consequences of the witch hunt. These legal actions cost
time, effort and money. The costs are punishing, too. But
supporters are working hard to raise a legal defense fund
for me.

I face far worse possibilities, including extradition and
even assassination by the CIA. According to certain high
officials of the Manila government, especially national
security adviser Roilo Golez, the U.S. is preparing to
request the Dutch government to extradite me to U.S.
territory or to put me under provisional detention pending
the fabrication of a criminal charge for my extradition.

The U.S. and Dutch governments are quite capable of using
their extradition treaty against me despite the clear
political motivation of the U.S. in fabricating the charge
of terrorism against me.

HOW DO YOU ASSESS THE "WAR ON TERRORISM" OF THE BUSH
ADMINISTRATION?

SISON: The so-called Bush war on terrorism is actually a war
of imperialist terrorism. The Bush administration has used
the horrific terrorist attacks on civilians on Sept. 11 as
the excuse for unleashing the super-terrorism of U.S.
imperialism on the people of the world. Such super-terrorism
includes wars of aggression, widespread military
intervention, internationalization of repressive policies,
escalation of state terrorism, intensified U.S. military
spending and war production, assertions of monopoly right
over weapons of mass destruction and the doctrine and
practice of preemptive strikes.

A German leader has aptly compared Bush to Hitler. He whips
up war hysteria, steps up war production and seeks to
suppress dissent and revolutionary resistance in order to
deflect attention from the daily worsening economic and
social crisis of the world capitalist system.

COMMENT ON THE RELATIONSHIP OF THIS "WAR ON TERRORISM" TO
THE CENTURY-LONG STRUGGLE OF THE PHILIPPINES TO ACHIEVE TRUE
SOVEREIGNTY AND INDEPENDENCE.

SISON: It is clear that the Bush war of terrorism is aimed
at violating the national sovereignty and independence of
countries and peoples all over the world. We are therefore
reminded of the century-long struggle of the Filipino people
for national independence.

The 1899-1902 U.S. war of aggression against the Filipino
people and the subsequent pacification campaigns lasting up
to 1914 killed 1.4 million Filipinos, suppressed Philippine
independence and put the Filipino people under U.S. colonial
rule.

The U.S. also instigated, directed and propped up the Marcos
fascist dictatorship for 14 years in order to retain all-
round U.S. control over the Philippines in the face of a
rising patriotic and progressive mass movement. In the
process, the U.S. encouraged the Marcos fascist regime to
torture and kill at least 200,000 people.

Now, Bush is using the pretext of war on terrorism in order
to bring U.S. combat forces into the Philippines, re-
establish the U.S. military bases and tighten U.S. control
over the Philippines. The Filipino people can achieve
complete victory in their revolutionary struggle for
national liberation and democracy only by contending with
and defeating the brutal military power of the U.S. and its
puppets in the Philippines.

RECENTLY, WITH THE COLLABORATION OF THE GOVERNMENT OF GLORIA
MACAPAGAL ARROYO, THE U.S. HAS INDEED REINTRODUCED U.S.
COMBAT TROOPS INTO THE PHILIPPINES. PLEASE COMMENT FURTHER
ON THE GOALS AND TACTICS OF BOTH THE U.S. AND FILIPINO
GOVERNMENTS.

SISON: The U.S. strategic planners think that the U.S. can
grab anything while it is the sole superpower in the world.
They have reintroduced U.S. combat troops into the
Philippines initially under the pretext of going after the
Abu Sayyaf.

After failing to destroy this small bandit group in the tiny
island of Basilan, they announce that they wish to fight the
revolutionary forces on a nationwide scale. They wish to
extend so-called access rights, build up the military
infrastructure and ultimately get basing rights for U.S.
military forces.

Gloria Macapagal Arroyo is a worse puppet than any
presidential predecessors. Even at the height of the Cold
War, none found it necessary to call on U.S. military forces
to fight the revolutionary forces in the country. She is
obsessed with the notion that U.S. military and other kinds
of intervention will ensure her victory in the 2004
elections.

HOW IMPORTANT IS THE PHILIPPINES TO THE GOALS OF U.S.
IMPERIALISM IN ASIA AND THE SURROUNDING REGION?

SISON: The Philippines is strategically important to the
U.S. It is historically and currently a reliable launching
base of the U.S. for its initiatives in the military,
economic, political and cultural fields in Southeast Asia,
in the whole of Asia and as far as the Middle East. The U.S.
is hell bent on controlling the Philippines because it is
the key point for controlling the whole of Southeast Asia.
This region is on the path of the trading fleets and rapid
deployment forces of the U.S. As in the past, the
Philippines can be used by the U.S. to swing the other
Southeast Asian countries in support of a U.S. dual policy
of engagement and containment towards China.

GETTING BACK TO YOUR SITUATION AS A POLITICAL REFUGEE, WHAT CAN THE
WORLDWIDE MOVEMENT, AND PARTICULARLY PEOPLE IN THE UNITED STATES, DO TO
ASSIST YOUR
STRUGGLE?

SISON: The most important thing
to do is to gather moral and political
support. For that purpose, information about my situation
and struggle must be disseminated and must enlighten the
people about the avarice and cruelty of imperialism.

I invite people in the U.S. to visit the following Web
sites: www.defendsison.be and www.inps-
[EMAIL PROTECTED] to keep themselves informed and
updated about my struggle.

It is of crucial importance that we gain abundant support
from the American people because they are in the belly of
the beast that is chiefly responsible for the reign of greed
and terror in the world. They can deliver telling blows.

We seek statements of solidarity and mutual support. We hold
information and organizational meetings. We generate protest
mass actions, from pickets to bigger rallies. We find ways
of raising funds for the legal defense fund. We coordinate
with all other progressive forces in order to link up the
issues and bring about a more massive force in support of
the just cause of national liberation, democracy and a just
peace.

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] Support the voice of
resistance http://www.workers.org/orders/donate.php)