-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the Dec. 5, 2002
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

Ona Move!

IN THE SPIRIT OF CRAZY HORSE

Hundreds of Native people and their supporters, led by
United American Indians of New England, gather in Plymouth,
Mass., each "Thanksgiving Day" to hear Native people present
the truth about their history and the conditions faced by
Indigenous peoples throughout the Americas. The event began
in 1970, when Native people seized the Mayflower replica in
Plymouth Harbor and buried Plymouth Rock.

The call for last year's event, sponsored by the United
American Indians of New England (UAINE), explained: "Since
1970, Native Americans have gathered at noon on Cole's Hill
in Plymouth to commemorate a National Day of Mourning on the
U.S. 'thanksgiving' holiday. . . . To them, 'thanksgiving'
day is a reminder of the genocide of millions of their
people, the theft of their lands, and the relentless assault
on their culture."

One renowned prisoner in this war of capitalist conquest is
American Indian Movement warrior Leonard Peltier. He is
serving two consecutive life sentences for the killing of
two FBI agents on the Pine Ridge Reservation despite the
fact that government officials admit they don't know who
shot the agents.

In acts of solidarity over the years, Peltier from his
prison cell has taken up his pen in defense of African
American death row prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal, and Abu-Jamal
has written to rally support for this Native political
prisoner.
_______________

MESSAGE OF THANKS
TO LEONARD PELTIER
& THE LPDC

Mumia Abu-Jamal sent the
following message to Native political prisoner Leonard
Peltier and his defense
committee on Jan. 21, 1999.

Ona Move!

We, all of us, give solid thanks to Leonard Peltier and his
numerous supporters worldwide, for the principled assistance
in France recently. I deeply appreciate it--we ALL do.

Many years ago, when I was doing radio commentary for
several Philadelphia college stations, I frequently received
taped reports from communications people from AIM (American
Indian Movement) and promptly reported such information to
my audience. What I learned was that the U.S. government was
waging a vicious and unrelenting war against Native people.
It was a phase in that war that an innocent Lakota activist,
Leonard Peltier, was dogged by this government and framed
for murder.

For almost a quarter of a century this kind and gentle
warrior, this artist, this son of his people, has withstood
the brutal assaults of the U.S. government, against its own
"law," its own Constitution, its own precedent.

On Feb. 6, 1999, the calendar will strike 23 long and lonely
years in U.S. gulags for Leonard Peltier. Twenty-three years
since an overtly illegal extradition from Canada to the U.S.
Twenty-three years in a Yankee Iron Cage for the "crime" of
resisting American repression.

As we enter a new century, it is past time for us to correct
this vile injustice against Leonard Peltier. Let a new
century begin with an act of justice for the Oglala people.

Free Leonard Peltier!

Free the MOVE 9!
Long Live John Africa!

In the Spirit of Nat Turner
and Crazy Horse!

Ona Move!
________________

LEONARD PELTIER:
SOLIDARITY WITH MUMIA

Peltier sent the following
statement this year to a Nov. 2 demonstration in
Philadelphia that demanded freedom for death row prisoner
Mumia
Abu-Jamal.

Greetings, Brothers & Sisters:

I stand in solidarity with you today in support of my
brother Mumia Abu-Jamal's immediate release. The price that
Mumia & I & other political prisoners are paying is the
result of the colonial & racist policies of the U.S.
government & multinational corporations. They target &
prosecute those who would dare speak out against their
oppressive & genocidal policies. We are well aware of the
hypocrisy of a society that claims liberty & justice for
all, yet disregards its own laws & ideals to consolidate
power in the hands of a few.

The death penalty does not serve any purpose other than that
of taking another life. Far too many have already been put
to death who were not guilty of anything. The death penalty
is not a deterrent & does not stop crime. That the death
penalty is racist is also well known. Murder is murder
whether committed by the state or an individual.

We must stand together & learn to work alongside one
another, against the oppression forced on us by our
government. The struggle for justice & freedom must go on.
The struggle to save Mumia's life & to expose the plight of
all political prisoners must continue. Do not let them take
Mumia's life!

Again, I stand in solidarity
with this struggle.

In the Spirit of Crazy Horse,

Leonard Peltier

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] Support the voice of
resistance http://www.workers.org/orders/donate.php)