-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the Dec. 19, 2002
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

ANTI-WAR CHAPTER STANDS UP TO SIERRA CLUB BOARD

By Leslie Feinberg

Why on earth is the venerable and heavily endowed Sierra Club
threatening to disband its Utah chapter?

Are they renegades who spilled an ocean of crude oil, despoiling
endangered wildlife preserves? Did they net dolphins in the race for a
lucrative sea harvest? Did they filibuster on behalf of gasoline-
guzzling SUVs? Argue against wind and solar power?

Pooh-pooh the perilous thinning of the ozone layer? Take a chain saw to
old-growth redwoods?

No, that's Dubya's "Earth Last" milieu.

Here's why the heretical board members of the Sierra Club's 175-member
Glen Canyon chapter in southern Utah drew the ire of the 15-member
executive board of the country's oldest environmental group: They spoke
out against one of the gravest threats to this planet and its
populations--Pentagon war.

"War is not healthy for children and other living things," the dissident
group's secretary Dan Kent explained succinctly in a recently issued
statement. "It is the ultimate act of environmental destruction. ... For
the board to compel our silence plays right into Bush's mad world, where
a nation of police, prisons, bombs, bunkers is better than lowering
oneself to diplomacy to save lives."

The Utah chapter notes that back in 1981, the Sierra Club did pass an
anti-war resolution, bolstered by the consensus that war brings with it
dire environmental consequences.

Yet in October, when 13 former Sierra Club board members closed ranks
with the Utah activists to ask for a formal statement against U.S. saber-
rattling at Iraq, leaders of the 700,000-member organization instead
adopted a resolution that "supports disarming Iraq of weapons of mass
destruction."

Anyone honestly searching for weapons that could explode the planet into
smithereens would not have to leave the confines of the continental
United States.

Heaped on top of the capitulation to Washington's dogs of war was
another resolution that immediately followed--this one "clarifying" the
1981 statement as having been a "broad general policy framework" that
"does not authorize members, leaders or club entities to take positions
on military conflicts."

The anti-war apostates characterize this tacked-on language as a gag
order.

Glen Canyon board member Patrick Diehl lambasted the national board's
action as "extremely divisive," concluding, "I sincerely believe that
the majority agrees with our position. I think we are expressing the
general disagreement with the board's action."

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to copy and
distribute verbatim copies of this document, but changing it is not
allowed. For more information contact Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY,
NY 10011; via e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe wwnews-
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Unsubscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] Support the
voice of resistance http://www.workers.org/orders/donate.php)