Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the Aug. 26, 2004
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

Maryland AFSCME workers endorse

MWM GATHERS STEAM

By Steven Ceci
Baltimore

Maryland State AFSCME District Council 92 has endorsed the Million Worker March,
set for Oct. 17 in Washington, D.C.

The council represents close to 30,000 state workers. The resolution was
reportedly passed overwhelmingly. It had been prompted by a similar
resolution passed by AFSCME Area 2, which represents Baltimore
metropolitan workers and four other Maryland counties, and AFSCME Local
1072.

Andre Powell, a Local 112 Executive Board member who is helping to
organize a subcommittee to plan for buses and mobi lize workers, said:
"The workers we represent are underpaid and have been battling
privatization, budget cuts and harassment on the job. Some state workers
are paid so little that they actually qualify for food stamps. The
community too has had to suffer from cutbacks in services."

Powell continued: "The Million Worker March is long overdue. As workers
we need to speak in our own name whether we are organized, unorganized,
employed or unemployed. We see this march as the beginning of a
movement."

Locals, districts and councils of AFSCME-- the State, County and Munici
pal Employees--are becoming an important part of the Oct. 17 Million
Worker March. AFSCME District Council 1707 President Brenda Stokely in
New York City was one of the first and earliest voices to support and
organize for the march. She has energized and helped win the support of
AFSCME locals around the country.

Pam Parker, outreach coordinator for the Baltimore and Washington, D.C.,
MWM region, reports: "We have been fielding calls from the Washington,
D.C., community. Last night, we spoke with a union member of AFGE-AFSCME
who had been disabled on the job. She called us because she represents a
group of disabled workers from the District of Columbia who are fighting
for compensation for their injuries, wanting to know how she could
support the effort."

Parker adds, "Washington, D.C., trade unionists, community and anti-war
activists will not only be welcoming marchers, we plan to make the
Washing ton, D.C., community a very important part of this
mobilization."

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to copy and
distribute verbatim copies of this document, but changing it is not
allowed. For more information contact Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY,
NY 10011; via e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe wwnews-
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Unsubscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] Support the
voice of resistance http://www.workers.org/orders/donate.php)