On  25 Jan, 2013, at 15:51 , Heinrich Apfelmus <apfel...@quantentunnel.de>
wrote:

> I can't speak for Jeremy, nor do I wish to step on anyone's toes, but
> looking at the current project status, I have to conclude that wxHaskell
> is not actively maintained anymore.
>
> I'm interested in GUI programming and I have got some ideas on improving
> the wxHaskell APIs that are "backported" from FRP, but sadly no one to
> address them to. So, I'm interested in contributing, but I don't have
> the time or inclination to maintain a large GUI project myself.

I guess we're not the only ones in this situation. I know I am. Nevertheless I
have spent some time fixing this particular treeCtrl bug I ran into and put the
modifications in a git fork, to be incorporated in the main repo later I hope.
It turned out to be relatively easy to fix, wxHaskell builds (relatively) easy
given my system setup (OSX10.8). Perhaps some other issues (and wishes) can be
fixed relatively easy too.

> Concerning future GUI development, there is GTK2Hs which works quite
> well on Linux, but is difficult to install on all other platforms.

It also relies on X11 and has a non-native look&feel on non-linux platforms.

> Personally, I'm betting on browser-based GUIs, and in particular Chris
> Done's "ji" project
>
>   https://github.com/chrisdone/ji
>
> It's not on hackage and I get the impression that Chris has abandoned
> his little experiment, but he has still accepted a patch I've sent. A
> small experiment on my part
>
>   http://apfelmus.nfshost.com/blog/2012/10/31-frp-ji.html
>
> has actually convinced me that implementing GUIs in this way is both
> viable and useful. If someone else were to take an interest in Ji as
> well, I'd be very happy to contribute.

Although I think many GUI's will (eventually) run via a browser, I also think
there is a place for standalone (i.e. non client/server) apps with a responsive
interface with many bells & whistles. In other words, until the time browser
based GUI's like ji are a reality wxHaskell (and/or gtk2hs) will have to do the
job. For some more ji like experiments see also:

  https://github.com/bertm/Modular-Haskell-GUI
  https://github.com/UU-ComputerScience/js-asteroids (using UHC)

The idea in the latter was to offer a wxHaskell implementation minimally using
code behind a FFI, therefore avoiding as much as possible maintenance of a
non-Haskell codebase. If not done that (or similar) way we will still end up in
a similar situation as is the case with wxHaskell, i.e. reliance on C++ (or
Javascript) code.

> Best regards,
> Heinrich Apfelmus
>
> --
> http://apfelmus.nfshost.com

                - Atze -

Atze Dijkstra, Department of Information and Computing Sciences. /|\
Utrecht University, PO Box 80089, 3508 TB Utrecht, Netherlands. / | \
Tel.: +31-30-2534118/1454 | WWW  : http://www.cs.uu.nl/~atze . /--|  \
Fax : +31-30-2513971 .... | Email: a...@uu.nl ............... /   |___\