On Sun, 25 Mar 2012, Aur Saraf wrote:

> I need a ListCtrl that I can edit and not only append to. That means
> either a version of appendItem that takes an index that I've missed, a
> way to get and later set the scroll-state of a ListCtrl (and then I
> can just reset all items on every edit) or a way to use the
> wxLC_VIRTUAL style available in C++ wxWidgets.

Note that the 'wx' package provides the high-level interface, but not
everything can be handled through this interface. A richer set of
functions is provided by the 'wxcore' package. There you find the modules
Graphics.UI.WXCore.WxcClassesAL and Graphics.UI.WXCore.WxcClassesMZ that
provide low-level interfaces to the methods of the classes starting with
letters A-L and M-Z, respectively.

So if I want to find out about additional functions of listCtrl I first
look into the wxWidgets documentation, i.e.
   /usr/share/doc/wx2.8-doc/wx-manual.html/wx_wxlistctrl.html

There I find a method named wxListCtrl::InsertItem in various flavors,
also a variant with an explicit index. Now I can lookup listCtrlInsertItem
in WxcClassesAL and find according functions.

> Also, as I said in the title, I'd really appreciate if someone could
> take some time to be available for a few beginner questions on some
> chat or email platform. I find that wxHaskell has too much lore for me
> to learn without an experienced hand guiding me. I promise to research
> every question before I resort to asking my mentor.

I think this mailing is a good place because all answers can be seen
publically and thus may help other people with the same problems.

What I also use frequently in order to find the correct widget class are
the example collections. There are some Haskell examples in the 'samples'
folder of the wxhaskell repository and there are even more C++ examples in
the wxwidgets documentation:
   /usr/share/doc/wx2.8-doc/wx-manual.html/wx_samples.html
  What I am really missing are screenshots of the widgets because often I
cannot imagine the GUI elements from their literal description.