ps. I've added a wxString stub to wxLua. All there is a constructor to
create a wxString from a lua string and the function GetData() to
return it back to a lua string.

wxString(lua string)
luastr = wxstr:GetData()

You still won't be able to convert the tolua++ wxString userdata to
wxLua's wxString unless you figure out how to do this yourself.

Regards,
   John Labenski

On 5/23/06, John Labenski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 5/23/06, Darwin Slattery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First of all thanks for such a great quality library - keep up the great
> work.

Thanks.

> I have just started using wxlua in the GUI layer of my C++ app. I have been
> using tolua++ to provide the bindings to classes in my data layer. I was
> hoping to use some wx classes in my data layer e.g. wxString, but these
> objects just appear as userdata in the lua runtime e.g. calling the
> following function binded to by tolua++ returns userdata:
> wxString getName();

wxLua uses only lua strings, to save space, easier calls to wxWidgets
functions, and whatnot. It would be very easy to wrap wxStrings
however, but there's a lot of functions and it might be too much
bloat. We use the two functions wx2lua and lua2wx, see the top of
modules/wxlua/include/wxlstate.h.

You can also just use wxLua's binding generator instead of tolua++.
It's really easy to create the interface files and run the generator.
Take a look at bindings/wxstc for an example of how to write the rules
file for a smaller semi-separate library. See also the docs about our
binding generator.

> Is there anyway that tolua++ bindings and the wxlua can co-exist? Can I
> recast this userdata to a wxString within the lua environment?

No, see above, we don't have any wxStrings and the conversion of the
userdata in lua might be tricky.

Regards,
    John Labenski