First off, I'm going to rename some rather unfortunately named
functions. These are mostly internal to wxLua, but you may have to
rebuild your bindings using genwxbind.lua.

More importantly, do we want stricter function parameter type
checking. Lua itself is very generous and will convert numbers to
strings, nil to number, etc... BUT, this means that without some
checking you can spend a lot of time debugging a small typo since vars
can be created on the fly with the value nil.

Lua has nice functions, tostring(X), tonumber(X), and nil can be
avoided using "nil or value".

Below is what we currently accept for different variable types and
what I propose I marked with a *

See here
http://wxlua.cvs.sourceforge.net/wxlua/wxLua/modules/wxlua/src/wxlstate.cpp?view=markup

wxLua_lua_isstringtype
        case LUA_TNIL:          * MAKE INVALID can use [str or ""]
        case LUA_TSTRING:
        case LUA_TNUMBER: // can convert easily

wxLua_lua_isbooleantype
       case LUA_TNIL:
       case LUA_TNUMBER:
       case LUA_TBOOLEAN:

wxLua_lua_isenumerationtype
      case LUA_TNUMBER  * check to see if it's an INT? probably not

wxLua_lua_isnumbertype
        case LUA_TNIL:          * MAKE INVALID can use [num or 0]
        //case LUA_TSTRING: // will be 0 unless really a number "2"
        case LUA_TNUMBER:
        case LUA_TBOOLEAN:

Thoughts?
     John Labenski