I am about to install wxWidgets in preparation for wxLua, and looking for
any advice or 'gotcha's' before starting the process.

I'm a web developer (PHP, HTML5, JQuery) with little knowledge of command
line or the 'configure / make' installation cycle involved, so I ask for
patience.
I am looking to build cross-platform Lua based apps

I am following the install instructions here:
file:///Users/royhinkelman/Downloads/wxLua-2.8.12.3-src/docs/install.html

   1. Installing wxWidgets
      1. re: the example configure file written to produce a Unicode, Debug
      build. I assume I would have a different build for production, correct?
      Are there examples of different build configs for wxWidgets anywhere?
      2. Is the configure example still considered 'best practices' for my
      OS setup?
   2. When I run the example configuration file, I get the following
   warnings. Should I be concerned about any of these?
   1. configure: WARNING: Defaulting to the builtin regex library for
      Unicode build.
      configure: WARNING: system png library not found or too old, will use
      built-in instead
      configure: WARNING: system jpeg library not found, will use built-in
      instead
      configure: WARNING: system tiff library not found, will use built-in
      instead
      configure: WARNING: wxMutex::LockTimeout() will not work
      configure: WARNING: sys/epoll.h not available, wxEpollDispatcher
      disabled
      configure: WARNING: Dialup manager not supported on this platform...
      disabled
   3. when I ran make, I get these.
      1. ../src/osx/webview_webkit.mm:392:30: warning: incompatible pointer
      types sending 'WebViewUIDelegate *' to parameter of type
'id<WKUIDelegate>'
      [-Wincompatible-pointer-types]
          [m_webView setUIDelegate:uiDelegate];
                                   ^~~~~~~~~~
      ../src/osx/webview_webkit.mm:464:34: warning: 'WKPreferences' may not
      respond to 'setUsesPageCache:'
              [[m_webView preferences] setUsesPageCache:NO];
               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^
      ../src/osx/webview_webkit.mm:466:34: warning: 'WKPreferences' may not
      respond to 'setUsesPageCache:'
              [[m_webView preferences] setUsesPageCache:YES];
               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^
      ../src/osx/webview_webkit.mm:936:25: error: cannot initialize a
      variable of type 'WebBackForwardList *' with an rvalue of type
      'WKBackForwardList *'
          WebBackForwardList* history = [m_webView backForwardList];
                              ^         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ../src/osx/webview_webkit.mm:954:25: error: cannot initialize a
      variable of type 'WebBackForwardList *' with an rvalue of type
      'WKBackForwardList *'
          WebBackForwardList* history = [m_webView backForwardList];
   4. and, when I run cd samples/widgets, make, I get
      1. ld: library not found for -lwx_osx_cocoau_adv-3.0
      clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
      invocation)
      make: *** [widgets] Error 1
      2. and ./widgets says 'No such file or directory'

Any pointers or advise greatly appreciated.

Roy Hinkelman

I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education.
-- Wilson Mizner