Package: x2goclient
Tag: build-macosx
Severity: important
Version: 3.99.2.1

Hi Graham, hi Thierry,

[I forward this bug repport to our bug tracker

On  Do 13 Mär 2014 15:01:42 CET, Graham Stoddart-Stones wrote:

Thierry:

Just to confirm that we are encountering the same problem with Mac OSX 3.5.1, X2Goclient 3.99.2.1:

When you start up X2Goclient on the Mac, you get an error dialog:

"sshd client not started, you'll need sshd for printing and file sharing....."

In OSX, openssh-server is built-in, and is activated by setting "Enable Remote Login" in System Preferences Sharing, as many others have noted. However, this does not stop the error dialog from recurring every time. That leads to another error message "File cannot be opened". If one ignores this, X2Goclient starts and runs normally, provided one wishes to neither print locally, nor share files from the Mac with the remote server.

I have seen lots of other emails on this topic, suggesting that the error message does not necessarily apply to the Mac (ie sshd is in fact running, the error message simply means that the x2goclient code is looking for a response from a Linux-like file (which does not occur in the same place in OSX), similarly the "File Cannot be opened" again refers to a file that is either not used on a Mac, or is in a wholly different location from where that file is actually stored on a Mac. I have not seen this point formally answered anywhere.

For me, the concern is that, whether sshd is running on the Mac or not, File Sharing does not appear to be working. I am not sufficiently familiar with X2Go nor with the Mac to know where to look on the server for the Mac shared folders, but I do know that there is nothing under "media", as there is with Linux and a PC, which is where I normally look. Again, I have searched the bulletins and forums, and often seen this point raised - I have just not found the answer on how to get round it.

So, am keen to see how you get on, and whether anybody else can please shed any light!

Can you cross-check the observed problem with latest X2Go Client [1]???

Can you launch X2Go Client from a terminal on Mac OS X and use a tool like strace (if that exists) and check its output for pointers to file-not-found errors?

That would be really helpful for tracking down this issue.

Mike

[1] http://code.x2go.org/releases/binary-macosx/x2goclient/releases/4.0.1.3/
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM