Hi everybody,

This is something I wanted to discuss at our meeting today:
http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/2015-03:day-2015-03-05?s[]=meeting

Intro:

For those who do not know, VcXsrv is a port of the X.org X server to
Windows. Specifically, the MS Visual C compiler. X2Go Client for
Windows bundles and uses it. So does PyHoca-GUI.

SourceForge lots you create personal git repos based off of official
project repos. So here is my branch on my personal git repo:
https://sourceforge.net/u/mikedep333/vcxsrv/ci/xp-1.15.2.x-x2gochanges/tree/

The differences from usptream VcXsrv are:

1. I am currently maintaining the 1.15.2.x branch, rather than the
1.16.x branch of upstream. Upstream never maintains previous
branches/releases.
2. I applied the nx-libs compatibility/bugfix patch from Alex,
winmultiwindow.patch . I am keeping this on a branch with the suffix
"-x2gochanges" branch because my convo with Alex indicated that
upstream would not accept it.
3. I am maintaining Windows XP compatibility for the time being.
4. I respond quickly to security vulnerabilities in xorg-server and
all the other bundled components (e.g., openssl, freetype2, X11 libs)
Upstream simply updates/upgrades each component to the latest versions
(even unreleased master branches often) on a seemingly arbitrary
schedule.

There are a few problems with using SourceForge:

1. SourceForge's support for git is terrible. Whenever I attempted a
"request merge" from branch Y on my repo to the master branch on the
usptream VcXsrv repo, it treid to merge my master branch instead.
2. SourceForge has recently done terrible things as GitHub has gained
popularity:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SourceForge#DevShare_adware_controversy
3. My repo isn't very visible because it is a personal git repo, not a
project repo.
4. Upstream VcXsrv (1 developer, marha) is horribly unresponsive. They
ignore bugs and merge requests for CVEs. Only once have I gotten an
email reply to a merge request. He had a valid reason to reject the
merge request, but he didn't actually reject it, so it is still open.
I never had a bug report replied to. So effectively, staying on
SourceForge does not enable us to upstream anything.

Here is what I propose:

1. Host VcXsrv on both code.x2go.org and
https://github.com/arcticaproject , simiilar to how nx-libs is hosted.
2. Prefer github for issue tracking. If an issue does affect X2Go
users, then use the X2Go BTS and link to the github issue tracker.
3. Create a README.md similar to the one for nx-libs 3.6.x
https://github.com/ArcticaProject/nx-libs/blob/3.6.x/README.md
4. Do not rename VcXsrv. State in the README.md that Arctica and X2Go
are maintaining branch X or branch Y currently, or possibly even 2
branches at once. This is analogous to Linux distros maintaining a
version of a package.
5. In the README.md or the github releases page, link to our builds under:
http://code.x2go.org/releases/binary-win32/3rd-party/vcxsrv-modified-by-x2go-project/
6. Rebase to VcXsrv 1.16.x in time for X2Go Client 4.0.4.0.
7. Pull from upstream VcXsrv (the master branch) continuously.
8. Hopefully receive many pull requests via GitHub :)

-Mike#2