On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 10:05 PM Alexanderstr Miete
<alexstrb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know that Uli pointed out you are  struggling with(human) resources and
> most of the administrating members prefer mailing lists over clumsy web
> forums- but may I suggest:
> You have a great product you maintain with X2Go.Everybody understands this
> eats up a lot of ressources.
>
> If you created an X2Go Forum you could potentially build up a wider user
> base. They can then help each other, which makes them happy (and potentially
> also takes some work from the mailing lists). This again helps a growing user
> base and vice versa. Potentially a wider user base and more publicity helps
> you gain more sponsors and donations. And so on.

Well, that is all possible with the mailing list, too. We also have an
IRC chat which can be used for quick questions.

> Further Devs may get further ideas from users, as most users find forums
> easier to handle than a mailing list.

Unfortunately we have more ideas than resources...

> I strongly believe this could be an overall win-win.
>
> Alternatively, I could offer myself to consider building an (inofficial)
> forum. I will need help with some admins/moderators though and I will need
> time, but I like to support good products.
>
> Let me know what you think.

Thank you for the offer. However: As you have seen in the past
traffic on this mailing list is quite low with not many people answering
questions. This would not change with a forum. I suppose we would not
drop the mailing list so we'd have
both which would even _increase_ the required time for doing support
stuff. So thank you again, but I do not see the benefit.

If you want to get involved in the x2go community (everybody can, so
spread the word!) there are tasks that need to be done:
- update/revise the wiki,
- clean up the bug tracker (there's a lot of spam and many old bugs)
- move the bug tracker to something modern
- probably more (Stefan?)

Uli