Dear Stefan,

> NoMachine NX/FreeNX uses a special pair of SSH public/private keys
> during initial session setup. NX ships a default key pair, and you can
> change that to one you (as the admin) created. This key pair will be the
> same for all connections to the server.

Yes, that is the one, that I would like to use with X2Go =) Of course
my own generated one. =)

> This is independent of the user's SSH authentication method (which, in
> case of X2Go, can be password, an individual SSH key file, or a smartcard).
>
> As far as I know - but Mike#1 should be able to make a more qualified
> statement here - X2Go does not need such an underlying "shared" key pair
> at all. So, since it is not needed, there's no way or reason to change it.

The reason I would like such shared keyis that, if someone should get
hold of a username and passphrase, then the bad guy still needs the
shared key file, before the account is compromised.

> Using an *individual* SSH key pair for each user instead of simple
> password-based authentication is obviously recommended, but this must be
> done right.
>
> <rant>The private key file must be kept secret at all times, not even
> the admin should have a copy - or read access. Some people have the
> "brilliant" idea to store private key files on network shares where
> other people can access them, because they fail to realize that a
> keyfile that hasn't been properly protected is like handing out a
> permanent second key to your home - it doesn't help to change the
> password you used to protect the keyfile, because the original password
> will still work on the copy the attacker has in his hands, and this can
> be brute-forced like a regular password, once the keyfile is in the
> enemy's hands.</rant>

I would never do such a thing. But thanks for clearing that out =)

Hugs,
Jasmine =)