Am 08.11.19 um 09:58 schrieb Franziska Goltz:

[...]
> debug1: Server accepts key: /Users/Franziska/.ssh/id_rsa RSA

So your key is in the default location and has the default name.  Good.

> The first time I ran ssh -add -l, I got "The agent has no identities."
> but after running ssh -add again like you described, it worked and I was
> able to connect via x2go.

So this means either you had a typo when you specified the keyfile, or
keyfile authentication, but not ssh-agent authentication, is currently
broken on our macOS client.

If you want to cross-check, edit the session settings again, and enter

/Users/Franziska/.ssh/id_rsa

as the file name for the keyfile.

Then (this is important) *un-check* the "Try auto login" box again.

Next time you try to connect by clicking on the session tile, you should
see a pop-up window asking for the passphrase.

If you can't log in that way, please let us know so we can start further
investigations as to what might be going wrong.

Please also note that there is some GUI way of adding your keyfile to
the agent, so you don't have to use the ssh-add command on the command
line every time.  However, since I am not a Mac user myself, I do not
know what the proper tool for this is on a Mac.

> However, until now (I waited for 5-10
> minutes), I only see a black window instead of a desktop and the
> terminal of my server gives me this:

[...]

> I tried again, and the same thing happens, it connects but the desktop
> doesn't load. Before I installed x2go, I did install the KDE desktop on
> my server (at least I thought I did, but maybe something went wrong there).

Sadly, KDE5/Plasma is a Desktop environment that isn't really a good
choice for remote desktop use. The only worse contender is Gnome3 - with
X2Go stable, it doesn't work at all, while with KDE5/Plasma, results
vary from distribution to distribution.

Do you really need a full remote desktop, or would it be good enough for
you to be able to start remote applications in your local desktop?

If you need a full desktop, I would suggest checking out LXDE, LXQt,
XFCE or MATE. All these are known to work with X2Go.

If you absolutely need to run KDE5/Plasma, and you can't move away from
Ubuntu on the server side (I hear KDE5/Plasma is "kind of" working on
Debian Buster), then I am afraid you will need to get your hands dirty -
there's a beta version of X2GoServer that you could install, and you'd
also need the corresponding beta version of X2GoClient on your Mac (and
I'm not even sure if we have macOS beta builds for this particular
feature yet).  This isn't for the faint of heart, so let me know if you
want to continue down that route.

If running remote applications is fine, then I would suggest you change
the following settings in X2GoClient:

Click "Options" in the menu bar, then "Settings".
The first tab, "General", should have all the options you need.
Check the "Display Icon in System Tray" box, this un-greys the four
checkboxes below it, check all of them as well, click "OK".

Then, back in the session configuration, change the session type from
KDE to "Published Applications".

After that, once X2GoClient is running and has an active session,
published apps can be accessed by right-clicking the tray icon and
selecting the name of the session.  A left click un-hides the X2GoClient
window.

Note that on macOS, at least in earlier client builds, left click and
right click did the same (which can be a bit annoying), so it would
hide/unhide the client window along with showing the published
application list.  Not sure if that has now been fixed, as, again, I am
not a Mac user myself.

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur

--