PPS:

The last update made me experiment a bit more with it. I've noticed that
depending on the workspace there are different results what the client will
see.

First of all if the server displays nothing, client will see a terminal
window open either way.
When I connect to the server while it is on the first workspace in XFCE and
then start typing in the terminal I can see maybe the first 2-3 letters
reflected. However it stops then and those letters seem to either loop or
be stuck. I can still move the mouse and the server will respond to clicks.

Also systemctl status x2goserver reveals the following error AFTER the
client has connected:

/usr/sbin/x2gocleansession[1730]:
USER-50-........_stS1XSHADuserXSHADPP0_dp24: state file for this session
does not exist: /tmp/ .x2go-user/C-user-50-...........

I hope this helps to identify what is wrong?

Cheers
Sebastian