thanks for the response Jason & Curt.

using

ls -l

I get

-rw-r--r--  1 root  admin  63440 Sep 16 21:05 lib

so I take it this means it's a file instead of a directory. Let me be perfectly honest here . . . I have no idea what I'm doing. lol

Should I delete the lib file and make a lib directory here?
Is there something in that lib file of importance and I should not delete?
Is it possible this could be a permissions or location problem?

Curt - yes on the os - 10.5.8 is one behind current; no on the intel - I had looked with great longing at the precompiled by J. McDermond . . . alas. Checked your link to the Mac Notes; have substantial time invested in the MacPorts method and would like to follow through with it until it works or my head is pounding . . . .

73
Tom