On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 06:18:04PM +0100, we recorded a bogon-computron
collision of the <f1...@free.fr> flavor, containing:

> > You may be forced to use KISS, even though you don't like it.  What is your
> > objection to KISS mode?
>
> This SCS TNC can handle a complex smart standalone mode with very little mA
> consumption: suitable for portable ops without the constant needs to attach a
> computer while on motion. Starting Kiss mode reset and deactivate completely
> this smart stand alone mode (the purpose of kiss), but then the computer
> needs to get GPS positions while this GPS is currently attached to the TNC???
> not to mention that most of the time the Kiss-exit fail and there is the need
> for a TNC power OFF-Then-ON to recover stand alone ops??? the whole process
> is too long and complex while on the move???

Gotcha.  That does make KISS unattractive for your use.

> About Kiss exit, does Xastir is compatible with the following: "With the
> decimal byte-sequence 192, 255, 192, 13 the TNC can be returned to normal
> operation without RESET (power off/on).????

Not Xastir itself.  There is a cheesy script in the Xastir scripts directory
called "kiss-off.pl" that is really just an enormous block of comments and the
following three lines of perl:

sleep 1;
printf("%c%c%c", 192, 255, 192);
sleep 1;

That sends 192, 255, and 192, but does not send the ^M your TNC expects.

You could write your own three-line perl script:

sleep 1;
printf("%c%c%c%c", 192, 255, 192,13);
sleep 1;

to get 'er done if that ^M really is required.

There is not, as far as I know, any capability in Xastir to take a TNC in or
out of KISS mode automagically.  Hence the existence of the script to do it
after you've exited Xastir.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM