New Madison ski marathon for next year?

As I was skiing along the shore line of Lake Mendota a couple weeks ago
(early March) and enjoying it, looking at the different features such as ice
stalactites hidden among caves in the bluffs and the like, the thought
ocurred to me - why not a ski marathon around Lake Mendota's shorline?  I
went home and used string, ruler, and a map of Madison and found that if one
skis around the complete shoreline, including the inlet into Cherokee Marsh
and Cherokee Lake and back, it comes to 50K almost exactly.  In a good year
for snow, approximate 6K loops can be added coming off the lake into the
trails of Governor Nelson State park and Cherokee Marsh park.

Why Lake Mendota? Its a completely flat course - boring.  Here's why:

Lake Mendota offers the only continuous marathon-length loop course in
southern Wisconsin.  All other trails in southern Wisconsin would have to
have multiple loops to reach 50K, and would be a nightmare for race
officials.  No busing would be needed.  A 20 - 25K option, out and back,
could be included.  Snow is normally lean here in the south.  Whereas
non-lake trails usually require a good 5-6 inches of snow at the least to
hold a quality race, lakes would only require 2-3 inches.  A good grooming
machine can even grind the top of the ice itself a bit to minimize slipping
on the ice where snow is lean.  Grooming would be easy compared to a hilly
course, except for the 12 or so K added on in Gov. Nelson and Cherokee Marsh
parks for terrain and scenic variety - if the snow is good.  The shoreline
can be scenic - the bluffs, Gov. Nelson State Park, Cherokee marsh, the
Isthmus.  The race would be great for spectators who can watch whole
portions of the race from any number of different points around the lake.
The skiers in the back of the pack can actually see how far the leaders are
ahead of them.  This would be the only marathon south of the Birkie.  It
will attract southern Wisconsin and Illinois skiers who would like to do
more marathons but are tired of 6 - 10 hour drives.  And finally, the lake
is all public property.  No private landowners to plead with.

The best place to start and finish would be the UW student union.  Anyone
affiliated with the UW, such as Hoofers, can reserve a room in the union for
registration and bib pickup.  The Rathskeller would enjoy plenty of
refreshment business from skiers and spectators, and the Terrace is a good
place to watch the start and finish of the race.  I have already talked to
the Park superintendent Jim Morgan about the idea, and their board has
discussed it and is taking the idea seriously.  He and I talked about safety
concerns, sponsorship, use of the groomer and compensation.  It goes without
saying plenty of volunteers will be needed - food stops, timing, trail
repair, bib pickup and registration, etc.  Open water areas will obviously
have to be avoided.  The trail will have to be diverted around private
piers, and around the dam at Tenney Park there can be some open water so the
trail will have to extend further into the middle.  The Parks Dept. will
need to drill the ice to test thickness, the Sheriff will need to be
notified to test the safety of the groomer.  Snow may need to be shovelled
to make bridges over fissures and ridges on the ice to make for smooth
skiing.  There are many details to work out.

Best weekend to hold the race?  Early January - ice may not yet be thick
enough.  Late February - snow already melting usually, ice starting to
soften.  Late January through early March - everybody going up north to do
their favorite races and trips every weekend.  Best weekend may be the one
between the Vasaloppet and the Birkie, or Feb. 16 next year.  The only major
race is the Finlandia, too long a drive for most skiers in the Banana Belt.
Ice on the lake is usually solid, a crust of snow usually covers it.  Being
flat, this is a marathon that falls into the "easy" category - perfect for
skiers who don't exactly want to kill themselves a week before the Birkie.

What I need from you, MadNorSki members, is feedback.  Before I take on the
gargantuan task of being chief race organizer for a brand new marathon, I
want to know whether you think this idea will work, or won't work - and why.
If you are enthusiastic, let me know if you would be willing to help.  My
E-mail address is [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Thank you.

Jeff Larsen

Jeff and Inna Larsen

Check out our new home page at http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/Orchestra/2730

Home of "Spirits of St. Paul" - A musical by Jeff Larsen about Norwegian
Immigrants in the 1920s
                                                       and
Nordmusikk - a duo of Inna Larsen - Hardanger Fiddle and Jeff Larsen -
Guitar.  Norwegian folk music for any occasion!