From: Joseph King [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 10:51 AM
To: Mike Ivey; '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'; Eric Stonebraker; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [XC] Birkie Nutrition

At 09:43 AM 2/18/2003 -0600, Mike Ivey wrote:
>forget carrying a water bottle or hydration pack, it's just dead weight
>and more than likely it will freeze up., plus it's just one more thing to
>worry about

In '94 I toured the Birkie from the ninth wave and I left the water bottle
at home.  Unfortunately, the rest stops were out of water from the first to
the double O.  The next day I flew to the west coast for business and was
hospitalized days later.  It took months to recover from what must have
been borderline neutremia (caused by dehydration followed by over
hydration).  Which meant I underwent every type of brain scan possible as
well as a spinal tap to eliminate the other more common
possibilities.  Fortunately, I didn't die before they figured out they just
needed to hook me up to an IV.  I've not been able to bring myself to do
the Birkie since but hopefully things are better now.  Still my advice for
those starting in a high numbered wave is to carry water.  Ironically, I
carried water on all of my training skis but left the water bottle at home
thinking I'd drink at every rest stop during the event.  There's nothing
like a cautionary tail days before the Birkie, huh?

-joe

Joseph King, Ph.D.
President, PDAFIT, LLC
www.PDAFIT.com