I've had the same problem, assign some properties to a directory, and
then according to these properties, add for example a specific app in
the right click menu.

For example, with a directory representing an unformatted disk, offer
the partitionmanager as action.

Or in a smb share, make the apps handle differently the caching of files.

With KDE it looks as if a .directory file is the only place to give
information what the map is/represents.

And within this .directory file the miemtype is the only parameter for
this purpose.

Stef