On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 18:52, Jehan Pagès <jehan.marmott...@gmail.com> wrote:
If by photos, you mean for instance JPEG images, then this is a display format (a very bad one at that, lossy, with ugly display artifacts…). It is meant for viewing, not editing. Of course I am not saying you should not edit it, we all edit JPEG images, I do it too. But it's definitely not meant for being a good photo source for further edit. And most people (even the ones who edit a lot of JPEG, I think) would probably prefer a simple viewer as default action when double-clicking for instance.

I overedited it a bit. Initially, I wrote bitmap images, as screenshots in PNG format are the most common type of images that I edit.

What is the exact interaction you have in mind which would be the consequence of making a viewer/editor differentiation?

For example, to edit a screenshot file in Pictures directory. In Nautilus, I currently have to click “open with other application” and then find GIMP in the dialogue. I just do not bother and drag the file on manually started instance of GIMP instead.

I imagine that if the MIME types in desktop files were annotated with intent, Nautilus could run the mime-apps-spec algorithm [1] twice, filtering for “view” intent one time and “edit” intent the second time, and it could show edit action in the context menu if they differ.

[1]: https://specifications.freedesktop.org/mime-apps-spec/latest/ar01s05.html