Another option is maybe have an option in the the definition of mimetypes xml files to have some kind of derivation. So all text/xml is will be marked as text/plain for applications.

On 07/05/21 7:46 pm, Thayne wrote:

On Fri, May 7, 2021, 04:18 Stefan Blachmann <sblachm...@gmail.com <mailto:sblachm...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 5/7/21, Thayne McCombs <astrotha...@gmail.com
    <mailto:astrotha...@gmail.com>> wrote:

     > I open text files in a lot of different formats, and I'd like to
    be able
     > to open
     > them all with the same editor, but adding an entry for every text/*
     > entry that I
     > could ever possibly use to my mimeapps.list is quite a pain.

    This is why my opinion is that the correct and simplest way to deal
    with that mess is not introducing more complicated configuration
    bureaucracy, instead just respecting (e.g. memorizing) your preference
    for each file type/format you showed by using OpenWith.

But I don't want to be prompted seperately for every text type. I just want to set the default for text/* once. I don't disagree with prompting the user and storing the result, but that is orthogonal to being able to make a default application for a wildcard. The prompt could even have an option to make the app the default for all text, all images, etc.

And of course if there is a more specific rule (for example, a rule for

text/css) that would have higher precedence than a wildcard rule