Mr. White,

You write:

> Be that as it may, one should not have to resort to such rather extreme
> measures just to get sane behaviour back. And please stop drumming for
> Flatpak. It does have its application but not for this. I mean, come on, more
> layers of complexity just for this. Plus all the downsides I do not want to
> discuss here, since they are out of scope

Flatpak is a major—and standards-compliant—implementation of XDG_CONFIG_DIRS,
alongside GNOME, KDE, etc. And you haven’t actually specified what your use
case is; you’ve been consistently vague in a way that allows your text to
maintain an unearned tone of righteousness and moral superiority.

You write:

> Yes, that is very much intentional, those are not “soft-wrap” but real line
> breaks. You should read up on mailing list netiquette if this is news to you.
> Yes, there is an RFC for that, and please don’t go “fixing” my text.

As far as I know RFC 1855 is not part of any accepted email specification—i.e.
the ones actually used by the more popular email clients—and several of the
behaviors encouraged in it lead to undefined behavior on adaptive devices that
did not exist in 1995, such as smartphones.

Intentionally using formatting that breaks on the vast majority of computing
devices in use is not “good etiquette”; this behavior is pedantic,
condescending, and passive-aggressive, all attributes that directly violate the
Freedesktop Community Standards, which are a much more important document than
your dusty cultural artifact:

> Examples of behavior that contributes to creating a positive environment
> include:
>
>       • Using welcoming and inclusive language
>       • Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences
>       • Gracefully accepting constructive criticism
>       • Focusing on what is best for the community
>       • Showing empathy towards other community members

If you dislike that the vast majority of the internet has moved on to adaptive
text rendering, I suggest you file an RFC about it, or perhaps chain yourself
to the front of the Google headquarters. Or, I don’t know, you could use an
email client with more normative text rendering? I assume they do, in fact,
make ones that work on dialup ANSI terminals.

Oh the irony that you’ve expended reams of text complaining about how you don’t
like the long-standing XDG folder specification that everyone else seems to
accept, right before you turn around and point to an obscure chain letter from
the Clinton administration as if it were some sort of inviolable scripture.

I’m CCing the conduct committee as a way of *gently encouraging you* to
approach this forum in a modicum of good faith.

Note: this is all good-faith, constructive criticism of your behavior, not your
character. As such I’m sure it should be no great difficulty for you to take it
to heart.

Sincerely,
Elsie Hupp